We all want our students to succeed and one of the best ways for this to happen is for them to attend school every day. The only reasons for absence should be through illness or an exceptional circumstance.
Parents have a legal duty to ensure that their child receives an education.
If you know or think that your child is having difficulties attending school you should contact the Year team concerned. It is better to do this sooner rather than later so that we can deal with the issue as quickly as possible.
Absences can be reported by the following ways:
- Phone the Academy on 01354 606000
- Email the appropriate Pastoral Assistant
- Text using schoolcomms
Please report each morning of the absence.
If we do not receive an explanation for an absence, it will be recorded as unauthorised. The Year office will contact home each day should they not received an explanation for an absence.
Students late for registration or lessons
Please make sure that you child arrives at school by 8.45am ready for Tutor time to start at 8:50am. If a student is late to Tutor time or lessons three times in a week, they will be requested to attend an afterschool detention.
- Unavoidable medical or dental appointments: Please arrange for appointments to take place outside of the school day. If this is not possible, please ensure that your child misses the minimum amount of time possible and brings evidence to school of the appointment.
- Days of religious observance.
- Exceptional family circumstances ie bereavement
- An interview with a prospective employer or college (evidence required)
Holidays within school time
Taking time off for holidays interferes with students' learning and progress. In addition, students' exam results may be affected; they may miss important exams or controlled assessments. If 2 or more holidays of 3 or more days are taken over a three year period, a fixed penalty fine will be issued by the Local Authority which is currently £60 per parent per child if paid within 28 days.
Holiday requested should be put in writing to the Principal of the Academy.